Friday, September 17, 2010

Never A Bored Gamer

Once upon a time there was a starving artist. In an attempt to make ends meet until her fall jobs began she decided to take a trip though the magical kingdom of the craigslist gig's section. There she found her destiny in a post entitled "Game Night Hosts".

Yes, that gal is me. And after tonight's festivities I can now claim myself as a professional Game Night Host after living many years as an unpaid intern. I applied for this gig because Magic Theatre was closed for the evening and I'm still a few days away from my permanent positions and the financial promises that come with them. Apparently my eagerness for games conveyed over a quick phone interview was enough to land me the job.

Oh, and what a job it was. A corporate event for Zynga which was themed as an 80's board game happy hour party. Endless pizza, beer, 80's tunes, and games for gamers. Heaven, right? My job was to set up the games and the old school Nintendo systems. Amusingly enough, I had no problem with the old equipment but struggled greatly trying to set up the new Wii systems. Ah, technology. I then got to act as an information booth to any incoming questions the participants had concerning their board game choices. (Oh, and there were so many choices! Beyond Apples to Apples and Taboo and Loaded Questions and Scattergories and Catch Phrase and... okay, I'll stop. But just know there were eight thirty pound boxes containing their options.)

The experience was also a very amusing social window that I snuck a peak into. After working so many jobs in the non profit world it was fascinating to see how creatures on other professional planets live and how they're influenced by their environment. The crowd was dominantly males fresh out of college who were all in love. In love with video games!

Now, I know how guys feel about video games. I have a brother who bought and traded in more systems than I knew existed. But it wasn't until tonight that I could truly watch their effect over a large population. On came the old school Nintendo and it was as if a magnet turned on. Suddenly all eyes glazed over and became fixed upon the television. The music was mind numbing and the dated graphics were jarring but that dominating screen became the sole object of desire.

And there was no competition. No lady or meat product or a meat product designed to look like a lady could interrupt their endless love. And is that Nintendo going to cuddle them like a lady and/or a meat product lady would? Maybe. But maybe not.


So since no one needed me to do anything but stand and stare I began to wonder how I could make myself more like a video game. How to: create a look and sound that's hypnotic, be challenging and interesting enough to withstand the test of time, and yet still be rewarding of fine game achievement. But through trying to humanize the characteristics of a video game I just creeped myself out. Now, I'm not totally giving up on this "become a video game" idea yet. But it may just have to wait another day. Perhaps games are meant to be played and not embodied. And isn't the best part of the gaming experience to play together anyway?

As usual, I'm left with only more questions. But thankfully, I also left with a check that'll provide some nutrition for this starving artist and an amusing evening of host experience.

This fairy tale is far from over.

2 comments:

  1. As a man whose life lacks both women and videogames (my red meat digestion moves at a steady pace), I can only wonder: did you have Connect-4? Simon? Battleship?

    These are the games that make life worth living, my dear.

    This is Charles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes to Connect-4 and Battleship... I don't remember seeing Simon but it could have been there. That one is a classic!

    ReplyDelete