Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Lift And Laugh

As the official fall equinox approaches it seems to be ushering in some unexpected twists and hopeful beginnings. One new development involves getting a new job.

Now, before I talk can talk about it in too much detail, I must first receive the results of my tests. In order to work for this company I have to prove that I don't have TB and I have to complete a physical.

Both things sound sort of terrible to me. I've always had a hard time with shots; the nurses often have a hard time getting the goods out and my skin usually feels pretty angry about the whole situation and bruises more than anyone expects. Luckily, this experience wasn't the end of the world. I had a sweet talkative nurse and she treated me well. She had a pretty thick accent and went on to discuss that she thought I would do well on the next test because I seemed like "a smart girl".

I then asked, "what next test? Do I need to take a written test too?" And she replied, "No. The physical!"

I reported downstairs and waited for a confused fifteen minutes holding gauze on my slightly bloody arm. Finally, a smiley older man eagerly introduced himself and brought me into a physical therapy room and taught me how to squat and pick up heavy things. It was sort of cute. He was just so excited to help me pick up so many heavy things! My test consisted of me completing some physical activities like a series of sit ups, stretches, and lifts. It wasn't at all the physical exam I had imagined. Luckily though, I had just come from the gym so I passed. Phew. I got an earnest handshake from my tester and a smile full of well wishes.

I'll find out the results of my TB test tomorrow... and if all goes according to plan I'll start my new job on Monday, afternoon teaching begins again on Wednesday, and Tony N Tina's is mere weeks away from reopening. Here we go, fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment